How many of us out there dreamed of one day to be a leader in a church, youth groups, football club etc. Amazingly the list is endless with a few only are able to live their dreams. Come to think of it I have witness my peers debating about leadership , if leaders are made or born? I know everyone has got their own view about this topic and it’s hard to convince the masses which side has got majority of votes when it comes to the debate.
This month I want to share with you my understanding about leadership. First and foremost what is leadership? What is good leadership?
- Leadership has been described as the "process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadership
- Best site check this out - http://www.leadersdirect.com/leadership-defined
To be a leader you don’t have to be a CEO (Chief Executive Officer) in a big firm but my understanding is that leadership starts at the grass root level with what you do, how you react to situation, how you tackle problem and challenges , how you relate to your peers etc, all this will nature you to a great leader. You can go to school to learn about leadership but to some extent it is something intuitive and intimate.
Some of the common adjectives which springs to our mind about leadership are- honesty, dependable, fair-minded, co-operative, good aptitude , to name a few. For one to be a good leader you have to uphold some virtues, mind you making long speeches will not contribute to being a good leader.
Below are some insights about good leadership in perspective;
1. Integrity: Not compromising on your principles and being honest to both your work and yourself is the most important trait of a good leader.
2. Valuing time: Time is money.
3. Communication: The level of communication you have with your subordinates goes a long way in reinforcing your leadership quality.
4. Teamwork: Build a team around you for support and consultation will see your leadership being appreciated and valued.
5. Motivation: One of the main goals of a leader is motivating their group.
6. Decision-making: Making a decision is an art depending on the requirement at the moment.
7. Flexibility: Taking all negative circumstances in your stride and adapting accordingly shows fortitude and patience.
8. Empathy: Try to leave the four walls of your office and mingle with your subordinates outside in their own environment.
There are many things to consider before you can be called a good leader. Remember everybody can be a leader but the question is how many people can be good leaders? Yes you can I don't disagree but if you only consider the above list and many other factors.
Please feel free to share with me your personal stories on your roles as a youthful leader in the community and what you can term to be successful under your leadership.
Email me through email@example.com