Saturday, April 12, 2014

Stand Up for Women Soccer in Kenya

"Let us all stand up for women soccer in Kenya. If it is not you, who will stand, defend, speak and empower them?" Wilsen Initiative (Wi)

Kate's Stories 

 
“I started playing in the year 2000 in MYSA (http://www.mysakenya.org) league under 12 years. When I was 14yrs, I played in the Mathare United women senior team and played in the Safaricom Sakata tournament whereby I was chosen to join the football academy where we formed the Matuu F.C women football team which later won the Women premier league. The most disappointing thing is that we haven’t been awarded for winning the league up until now. Communication is always important and if only the federation could communicate on what happened, many women like me would still feel inspired to play to even greater heights. If the federation could support women soccer in Kenya, we stand a big chance in playing in the World cup because I believe there are many talented women who have been frustrated on how women football in Kenya is managed.”


“Playing for the national team is always a great pleasure and listening to the national anthem played before the kick-off really motivates me despite all the challenges whilst it is a rare opportunity for many women in Kenyan soccer”.


“I lost my mother in some years back and my dad is a retired policeman. I love my brother so much and he is the bread winner of the family, he supports my education and incase I need football boots he always buys for me, and I really feel encouraged by him.”


“If the private sector and the media could join hands in promoting and sponsoring women soccer many great players and great leader would be born. I play football to keep fit and network with other great opportunities in life like education”
 

“You can exile in life by using your talents a part from education”

Kate's Coach - Isaack

 
“Words can’t explain Kate’s talent, and at the moment women football hasn’t been getting the required attention and people in leadership have forgotten the grassroots football”




Kate's Profile

Position: Central Defender
Football Icon: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester united)
Best Book: An enemy of the people.
Best Quote: Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Community Club MYSA zonal: Otto- Benecker F.C
Former School: Maina Wanjigi Secondary school since 2006 - 2010
Former Professional Club: Mathare United Women Team.
         
Special Achievements.
  • 2014 Played for Kenya women football team, Harambee Starlet.
  • 2011 Champions Safaricom Sakata ball challenge tournament and current team captain 
  • 2010 Champions Women’s Kenya premier league
  • 2007 Champions MYSA U16 championship
  • 2007 Champions MYSA girls tournament
  • 2006 Champions MYSA girls tournament 
  • 2005 First runners up Barclay girl’s tournaments. 
  • 2004 Champions MYSA girls tournament.
 International Achievements.
  • 2007 first runners –up MYSA international girls tournament
  • 2005 Finalist Norway cup u14 girls category in Oslo, Norway 
  • 2005 Winners u14 girls Netherlands tournament in the Netherlands. 
  • 2005 and 2006 East African cup winners U16 girls held in Tanzania.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for share your great post.it is informative post for soccer.This site published important topic of soccer.i hope this site give more important information.i wish all is well.

    ReplyDelete