When I was in school, we were meant to believe getting a degree is everything, this is changing with the rapid development in the world of work that leaves big gaps in the education system. There are many people who are qualified with certificates, diplomas, degrees etc, but the work force is in urgent need of special skills and admirable talents which are still not adequate and this is why some corporate and other institutions have come up with creative and innovative programs to assist anyone who wants to go beyond the education system whereby finding real value and impact in whatever they desire to do.
#CountDown2016 I hereby recommend The DO School (http://thedoschool.org/) and The Amani Institute (http://amaniinstitute.org/) as the place to kickstart your journey #BeyondtheClassRoom. I'm a proud alumni of both entity. So what else do I need apart from my education credentials? Here is a list which you can add to... The world of work is looking for?
1. Creative Thinkers
2. Critical Thinkers
3. Problem Solvers
4. Self Driven & Passionate
6. Self aware and Initiative
8. Team players
10. Life long learners
At Wilsen Initiative (Wi) which I founded we are committed to addressing the gaps as experienced in the education sector at the level of informal settlement schools. In place we have Plus One Talent ; 1% Ideas + 99% Action = 100% Optimum Success, at Plus One Talent (POT) we organize training workshops, discussion forums, and inspirational talks for young people between 16 – 35 years, with a target to train on subjects that will enhance skills development and talent nurturing with an aim of raising awareness about promoting self discovery and cultures that seek to strive transformation of different realities.
- Connecting the young people with the extras (Plus One) that they need to grow their skills and especially their talents which are unique and needs to be tapped into and managed wisely by them to avoid exploitation by others.
- Creating a collaborative culture which encourages co-creations amongst young people.
- Striving for transformation of different realities/ stimulating positive change in the societies through young people’s talents and skills.
- Creating a platform for creative and innovative ideas that promote equality and opportunity.
- Encouraging open dialogue, where youth and other positive social groups connect.
Concept: We take a more participatory approach that engages everyone as an individual or groups.
Immediate goal: To triggers new patterns for lifelong learning.
Participants: Maximum 50 who can work in groups of 10 or 5 depending with what the facilitator wants for achieve.
For more about the program https://wilseninitiative.wordpress.com/ and http://www.wilsen-initiative.org/
Thanks for your contribution;
Roshan Paul ( Amani Institute), Ilaina Rabbat ( Amani Institute), Romy Kraemer (Do school) Florian Hoffmann (Do School) and Gigi Kilcher ( Amani Institute) Thanks for playing a pivotal role in my journey, I have witnessed the impact of your teachings through 2013 - 2015 and I remain committed through 2016+ to realize the dream @Wilsen Initiative