Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Top 16 Great Values That Money Can’t Buy

 As I think about what the future holds for me and family, I usually take a pause and flashback on where I have come from not to regret but to find inspirational moments in my past journey to springboard into the desired future.



 ~ My advice ~ 
 As we search for money to safe guard a stable future, we should strive not to lose the things that money can't buy. Wilson Masaka~ Youth Advocate 

I find great comfort in my value system that I have inherited from my family that I would love to pass to my children and whoever we cross paths especially the young people because the future depends on them. This pandemic mode takes me back around the year 1997 - 2007, I remember those tough times with my family and I relate it to the current situation to build courage and hope for a better day to come.

I wonder how my parents made it out of those tough moments balancing family affairs, is the untold story which I would love to share with my siblings and my children. I remember my late dad lost his job and my late mum tried all forms of small businesses to put food on the table, while my dad applied for one job after the other hoping that a day would come that everything would be back on track. Being the second born in a family of eight, I was lucky to learn the ropes from my parents whereby they could share everything with us from their aspirations, current life, debts, future prospects, challenges, health, etc.

I wonder how many parents are doing this now that most of us are at home facing different challenges, I believe we can find time to learn and drive the desired values starting within the family settings. One area I source for strength, hope and determination is about my late mum entrepreneurial journey. My late mum tried more than one business supported by my late dad from selling charcoals, fish, sugar cane, bar soap, grocery, etc.

At least we could get basic especially food but on another front things like rent and education were tough balance. The sad part is that all the businesses didn't flourish to the next desired level not because of her entrepreneurial skills or approach, but because it was the only source of some form of income that supported the entire family and being a small venture established with only available capital everything eventually collapsed due to operations which were basically subjected to hand to mouth system to keep the family afloat.

You don't want to know what followed, anyway that is a story for another day. Below are some of the great learning moments I picked from my family story that that guides my daily life as parent, I hope might also help someone out there I consider them as Top 16 Great Values That Money Can’t Buy;

  1.  Resilience 
  2. Family togetherness 
  3. Grit 
  4. Discipline 
  5. Prayers.
  6. No matter what you're going through treat your children with love.
  7. Patients
  8. Never be afraid of failure trying something new. 
  9. Never compare yourself with others. 
  10. Encourage your children that one day things will be better (mental health). 
  11. Share your plans with your children and tell them the reality on the ground, especially from the age of 12 years and above. 
  12. To dream is good, but live within your means. 
  13. Budgeting to prioritize the essential from non-essential is a must. 
  14. You can miss a meal or two, but peace, love and harmony will always prevail no matter the situation.
  15. Always teach your children to live as per the desired values when you're around and when you're no more!
  16. Teach your children how to deal with finances from a young age so when one day they have money they will be driven by a common goal to better their lives and that of others. 
Thanks to my late dad and late mum may your soul continue resting in peace, thanks for sharing your journey with us, life can be tough sometimes but those values you bestowed on us will live forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment