Saturday, January 1, 2022

5th Edition of the Mathare North Festive Season Soccer Tournament Featuring U12 and U14 Teams from Mathare North zone.

 On 31st December 2021, we wrapped the year 2021 in style after a successful tournament despite the many challenges encountered in mobilising resources. We had a total of 19 teams participating in the 5th edition of the tournament that only featured teams from Mathare North zone. There were 9 teams of the age group U14 and 10 teams of age group U12 respectively. 

 The tournament is part of the ongoing soccer resource mobilization for junior teams (U10 to U15) in Mathare North zone. The tournament and soccer resources mobilisation is inspired by Wilsen initiative (Wi) journey which I started in 2011 as platform of reaching young people in different spaces. I want to thank everyone who supported the tournament, call for the year 2021 which led to its success. 

 I want to take this opportunity also thank every team that participated in the tournament. In a special way, congratulations to Olimpus F.C U12 and Mathare Flames Sportive U14 for emerging winners in their respective categories. πŸ†πŸ†πŸ† 

 As we open the new chapter of the year 2022, I want to make it a priority to continue mobilising soccer resources for the junior teams (U10- U15). I won't rest until every child in Mathare North gets a chance to play safely and with dignity using the appropriate gears for the game. 

The year 2021 tournament came to an end, but the soccer resource mobilization continues all through the year, and anyone with any form of support are still welcome. Think of soccer shoes, balls, training bibs, books, soccer jerseys, goal post nets, training cones, track suits etc. I hope we will get an opportunity to even reach many young stars and teams in 2022. My mission is to assist in mobilising soccer resources for young soccer stars and their teams, especially from U10 to U15 in the urban informal settlements in Mathare North zone. 


 I want to give the kids an opportunity to play soccer in a more dignified ways starting at a tender age. How It Started This idea came about through my experience playing soccer bare feet from the age of 8 yrs to 14 years when I acquired my first soccer shoe as a gift from the late Helge from Norway during his tournament that was organised in Nairobi at St. Benedict parish field, along Thika road. 

The soccer shoes not only protected me from injuries, but also boosted my morale to play soccer to the next level of competition and aspired to make a trip to the prestigious Norway Cup. Part of my lifetime success after acquiring the soccer shoes was participating in the international youth tournament in Norway known as Norway Cup with MYSA U16 teams in the year 1997, 1998 and 1999 respectively So helping the kids acquire the right gears in the game as being one of my giving back model to my community that nurtured my soccer career. 

I believe acquiring, especially a pair of soccer shoes will protect them from unnecessary injuries while at the same time boost their self esteems and aspirations to grow their talents into the next levels just like I had experienced. 

Wilson Masaka, founder Wilsen initiative (Wi) and +throughMylens Blog:- www.wilsenx.blogspot.com More pictures on www.facebook.com/MathareNorthSoccer www.wilseninitiative.wordpress.com Do More, Be More and Be Different.






















No comments:

Post a Comment