Thursday, September 12, 2024

Skill UP Series World Of Work The Unexpected Shift

The Unexpected Shift 

#SelfMade  #WorkPlaceSeries Life Series +throughMylens 

Based on my personal story, this is just to highlight part of the bigger story of my journey in the world of work, having been employed in one place for more than a decade. 

Remember, there is usually a question: How long should one stay in one company or organisation before moving to the next one? 

In my opinion, there are many factors to consider, and through the organised Skill Up Master Session by Wilsen Initiative (Wi), it's one of the topics that we cover under Workplace Series. 

Workplace Series, developed under the Wilsen initiative program, seeks to help young new entry employees navigate the work-related terrains that are rarely taught in schools, for example, asking for a salary raise, how to disagree with your boss, how to quit, work ethics, personal branding, communication channels, and organisational culture, just to mention a few.

Currently I'm self-employed as a youth trainer, consultant, social entrepreneur, photographer, and graphic designer. Actually, it's my 7th year into the world of self-employment with a series of in-between short-term contracts after the shift happened in 2017 where I used to work in a 9am to 5pm job. 

I must admit it has been a rollercoaster of a ride trying to find a fitting culture, the elusive next job opportunity, countless regret emails, happy moments, rebranding, reconnection, and reframing everything into the future that I want to see in myself and my family.

Today I'm not where I was back in 2017, where the shift happened, but I'm also not yet done with what I want to do and where I want to be. 

The good news is that I'm no longer confused or afraid to pursue my dream and the vision amidst all the unexpected eventualities. 

As I continue forging forward, one thing that I always love to do is share my experiences and train the next generation of young employees and self-employed youth based on real-life examples of what they should consider at their current status within the world of work. 



Here are 10 important lessons I have picked in my journey shifting from employee into self-employment. I have learnt a lot, and here are just to list but a few pointers that helped me within the maze or puzzle, what I call the shift.

1. Learn devise skills and differentiate between job, work, and career.

2. Do more, be more, and be different.

3. Build professional networks. 

4. Don't sit comfortable at your current job; apply for other jobs and go for the interviews even if you have a job.

4. Never stop doing what you love and loving what you do. 

5. Strive to build value (knowledge, skill, and attitude) and get paid for what you love.

6. Choose friends wisely at workplaces and other social circles. 

7. Learn good money habits by saving, budgeting, investing, and spending wisely.

8. Break the walls of the comfort zone into the unknown zone that provides new insights and learning.

9. Never think that you're indispensable; you might be a star employee, but the time will come when the shift will happen when you're not ready and you won't get any advice on what next to do. 

10. Family will always stick with you no matter what happens, and good friends are still around in this world strive to connect with them. 

Related;

There's one principle or philosophy that I use called Show and Tell. 

It cut through many facets, especially for those who aspire to be self-employed or entrepreneurs. It is a crowded field where there seem to be diminishing opportunities, especially in the world of work as employees. Invite me for a session and I will share more with your trainees. 

📌 Are you looking for an experienced, passionate, skilled, open-minded, and knowledgeable facilitator/trainer in the youth space?

I'm here to offer the best learning experience for your trainees, inculcating a new way of learning in this evolving world. 

Remember, any skill and knowledge acquired and not used anywhere is a waste of time and other resources.

 #SelfPacedLearning #FreelanceTutor Do More / Be More / Be Different / wilsenx.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment