Tuesday, February 28, 2023

The Generation Y–Z Constants and the Youth Effect.

Is the quality of living improving for today's youth? According to me, there are still many struggles to be overcome, including a lack of chances, mentorship, and underemployment, to name just a few. 

 Many young people battle in life to identify and choose their paths because so much of what they do is influenced by their families, friends, communities, and society at large. Life isn't meant to be a straight path, of course, and sometimes we do get what we want, but only after being compelled by circumstances to be happy with what we have. 


Today, I want to talk about eleven things that I experienced, growing in the underserved communities in Nairobi, which also served as inspiration for me to found the Wilsen Initiative (Wi). Here are the eleven difficulties I faced, which are typical of many young people. 
  1.  Not knowing what I wanted to do. 
  2.  A lot of copy and paste. 
  3. No career mentors in my network. 
  4. The future was blurry whereby juggling more than one thing randomly to survive. 
  5. No strategy for self discovery and talent utilization. 
  6. Peer pressure based on career prospects. 
  7. No guidance on how to relate with money (save and invest). 
  8. Not knowing what career paths to take.
  9. Not knowing my key areas of strengths and areas of improvement.
  10. Lack of awareness on networking, personal branding and self marketing. 
  11. Lack of knowledge and skills to spot opportunities. 
 I'm happy to report that as I write this article, I've been able to overcome everything, and I wish that had been the case when I was a teenager. However, it's never too late. 

In light of my experience, I'm currently providing training sessions under the name +throughMylens / Consult that aim to address all of the aforementioned issues as well as others that young people encounter. A Critical Skill in the Disruptive Society is Time Management. 

 " Time never speeds up or slows down; it is consistent from season to season. It's time to assess what you do to determine where you spend the most time wasting." - Wilson Masaka, Youth Advocate and Social Entrepreneur 

 Get in touch today for a session with your team. 
 Do More / Be More / Be Different www.wilsenx.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment