Thursday, October 21, 2021

Self Made - Be More, Do More and Be Different

Life Series +throughMylens Yesterday, I met a long time friend by the name Owus for those that know him. After catching up, he asked me " Masaka, how comes you weren't influenced to join bad peer groups into alcohol drinking, smoking, crime, chewing of khat etc.? 

In a nutshell the question is how did I survive the many traps? 

 #MyTake Anyway...

I thank God for guiding me this far having been brought up in a society where bad peer pressure was/is on the rise that led many youth into drug abuse, crime, alcoholism just to mention but a few. At an early age of around 12 yrs, I connected well with my parents to the extent I would empathize with what they were going through, their desire, wish, hope etc. 

 I thank everyone who spoke words of encouragement, wisdom, love, etc. Being close to my parents, my siblings, teachers and different mentors I developed a desire to discover more about myself (Purpose: Who Am I, What I Wanted to Be & What Can I Do). One of the things that build my self esteem was appreciations I got from people that boosted morale to do more and be more in achieving my goals in life.  

Thanks to all the nicknames, especially from my parents, they were a blessing full of encouragement. Did you know one of my nicknames that I was given by my parents is Simba? Now you know, Simba is a Kiswahili word for Lion 🦁 which also carries a lot of stories which I will share one day. 

 I thank everyone who treated me the right way, especially when I was a kid, when I did wrong, you correct me the right way and not forgetting bestowing hope in me dispute living is uncertain condition.

 I made a deliberate decision to be part of the our family vision by activating myself (do something)  while observing all the great values as taught by our parents.

 So far I have achieved much but I'm  still on a journey towards achieving the desired vision. 

In summary, I would say; 

  1.  Connect well with family members. 
  2.  Be different 
  3. Choose your friends wisely. 
  4. Have a dream then break it down into goals, objectives, activities etc. (Active yourself)
  5. Unrelenting values.
  6. Seek for knowledge and support.
  7. Learn everyday.
  8. Identify and use your God given talent .
  9. Help others achieve their goal. 
  10. Trust the process and be your number one fan.
I'm not ashamed of my past because it made me who I am or even better. Never Give Up, you can be the missing part of the puzzle that can change things for better. Sometimes our life feels like a movie, but remember you have the choice to be the victim or the victor.  The best test of time isn't in how long you live, but how much you have done in the time you lived. 

  “Mtoto umleavyo ndivyo akuavyo”. The Swahili proverb meaning “The way you bring up a child is how he/she ends up being”. True or False?

To God be the glory and I continue to praise him. Thanks to everyone who has been part of my journey in one way or the other. 

 "People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going." ~Earl Nightingale 

 "We have not started living until we rise above narrow confines of individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity" - Martin Luther King Jr

Special Tribute!

Pictures from the archive in memory of my late dad and mum taken from different years! Thanks for bestowing the best values in me. May God continue resting your soul in peace till we meet again.







No comments:

Post a Comment